4.2 - National Integrity Framework
This commitment will strengthen Australia’s ability to prevent, detect and respond to corruption in the public sector. We plan to do so by collaborating with the corporate sector, non-government organisations, academia and the public, including by holding the first Government Business Roundtable on Anti-Corruption in 2017.
We will also review the jurisdiction and capabilities of our key anti-corruption bodies, the Australian Commission for Law Enforcement Integrity (ACLEI) and the Australian Federal Police (AFP)-led Fraud and Anti-Corruption Centre (FACC), with the development of each National Action Plan to ensure they can focus on protecting Commonwealth agencies from risks of corruption.
This commitment will advance the OGP value of public accountability by improving the effectiveness of our legal, regulatory and institutional frameworks and by protecting the integrity and transparency of the execution of public policy and management.
Parliamentary Joint Committee on ACLEI’s report (milestone 1)
- The Attorney-General’s Department (AGD) is continuing consultations with affected agencies to develop a government response to the Parliamentary Joint Committee on ACLEI's report into ACLEI's jurisdiction.
- In its report, the Committee recognised that Government would need to assess the extent of additional resources ACLEI would require to accommodate expansions of its jurisdiction.
Government Business Roundtable on Anti-Corruption (milestones 2 and 3)
- The Government Business Anti-Corruption Roundtable was held on 31 March 2017 (milestone 2).
- The Government has introduced the Crimes Legislation Amendment (Combating Corporate Crime) Bill 2017, which would introduce the reforms discussed at the Roundtable, incorporating views expressed there and via the other public consultations held (milestone 3).
- The Bill will introduce reforms to the foreign bribery offence in the Criminal Code and introduce a deferred prosecution agreement scheme, which are the subject of Open Government commitment 1.4: Combating Corporate Crime.
- As these reforms were priority integrity/anti-corruption reforms under consideration by government at that time, they were the chief subject of discussions at the Roundtable.
Review the jurisdiction and capabilities of ACLEI and FACC (milestone 4)
These reviews have been delayed pending further consideration of the national integrity framework as part of the development of the second National Action Plan.
The Attorney-General’s Department (AGD) is continuing consultations with affected agencies to develop a government response to the Parliamentary Joint Committee on ACLEI's report into ACLEI's jurisdiction.
Government: Australian Commission for Law Enforcement Integrity, Australian Federal Police, Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions, Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
Non-Government: industry, peak bodies (including Law Council of Australia), non-government organisations (including Australian Open Government Partnership Network) and international partners
Steps to implementation
|Implementation Step||Implementation Period||Status|
Respond to the recommendation of the Parliamentary Joint Committee on ACLEI’s report into the jurisdiction of ACLEI.
Hold the first Government Business Roundtable on Anti-Corruption to improve cooperation and consultation on anti-corruption work, and identify areas for reform.
Respond to recommendations for reform and improvement arising from the Roundtable.
|Jul 2017-Aug 2017||Completed but delayed|
Review the jurisdiction and capabilities of ACLEI and FACC in consultation with the public in the context of developing Australia’s next Open Government National Action Plan 2018-20.
|Early 2018-Mid 2018||Delayed|
Status updates for commitments are provided approximately every two months. With each update, agencies are encouraged to provide further and better particulars of the commitment and its steps to implementation, which may result in changes to timelines outlined in Australia’s first Open Government National Action Plan 2016-18.